F. Scott Fitzgerald wanted to write something new, beautiful, patterned.
The novel expresses THE AMERICAN DREAM (anyone can win success and wealth by his own efforts. It doesn't mind if he's poor or not) . Gatsby wants to get money, but also love. However, he can only get this love by means of money.
Fitzgerald's own experiences appear in his novels:
NY LIFE IN THE 1920s parties, bright lights, heavy drinking, jazz music, time to make money and have fun (The Roaring Twenties)
THE AGE OF PROHIBITION
- The law forbade the selling and drinking of alcohol. However, people could buy it illegally from bootleggers.
- There's a lot of drinking in the book. However, Gatsby and Daisy don't drink.
Read about he author, the roaring twenties and the book and write an essay following the guidelines below:
- INTRODUCTION: Present the book ( reason for reading, author & society)
- BODY: Summarize the book briefly and provide examples of the roaring twenties.
- CONCLUSION: Tell about your opinion the book (justify it) and compare in case you've watched it.
TASK 2: SPEAKING TASK (10 % global mark)
These are some of the quotes said by F.S Fitzgerald. Choose the one you liked the most and prepare 1 minute speaking in class.
- Use Reported Speech, reason linkers (because, as, since)